Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Return With Honor


This week my missionary son Jesse has been on my mind alot... but then he usually is. One of the perks of being the baby in the family! On Oct. 18 it marked the 2 month countdown until he comes home. For Jesse, there are mixed feelings... he really isn't in a hurry to return because he loves what he is doing. Right now Elder McLean is serving in Edinburgh, Texas. He says that sometimes he has to remind himself that he is still living in the USA because this part of Texas is like living in Mexico. Poverty is everywhere, but so is the wonderful hospitality of the Hispanic people. They really have a joy for life, and are always welcoming to the missionaries... they may not always want to hear about the church, but they are kind to them.
I spent a little time this morning thinking about all the changes that I have noticed in Jesse in the two years that he has been away from home. It's amazing how he has grown. It is even more amazing that 19 yr old young men can step out of their comfort zones, and strip themselves of all the trappings of the world, and then rebuild a new life as a servant to their Father in Heaven, and to all the people they will teach and come into contact with. Jesse will tell you that his "sacrifice" is nothing compared to the blessings, and knowledge, and pure joy he has had the opportunity to experience. If I could pick up the phone today and just talk to him for a moment I would tell him, "Well done Jesse... finish strong, work hard, and Return with Honor." For now I will be content with knowing the Lord watches over him, and knowing he is happier than he has ever been in his life. See you in December son... that will be some reunion!

13 comments:

Sarah Young said...

Man, I think the ol' mish was hands down the best thing ever for Jess-mo! It truly took a boy and made him a man!

P.S. Mom can I tell you how EXCITED I am that you are blogging again?! Can you hear my wahooing all the way from Georgia!? Downloading pictures and everything on your own! You go mommason!

Amber said...

I am glad to see another post from you! I can't believe Jesse will be home so soon. Will he get to see Steve and Kristine when they are home? Hope you are well!
Amber and Jeremy Haider and family

Anonymous said...

OK first of all I can't tell you how my insides just tickled when I saw I had a post from you, thanks! How exciting your missionary is coming home. It sounds like he is having a great mission!

Three Lads and a Lis said...

Oh my goodness, time flies - I still picture Jesse as the little neighborhood boy who was always so sweet to the younger kids, what a fine young man he has grown up to be.

Hi Barb, it's melissa blake (poe)!

Sarah Young said...

Hey mom, ljtalley is Laura in case you were wondering! You've created a fan club, what can I say!

Kristine said...

Hey Mom! Great to see a post! I cannot wait to see Jesse when we come in December! We are counting down the days now: 50 more days until we get off the plane and get to spend a dreamy month with our family!

N. Tipps said...

Hi Barb! It's Natalie Liberatore. I cannot believe Jesse is old enough to be on a mission. I thought that was a picture of Steve!

I heard a lady laugh like you when I was out the other day. It brought back fun memories of you. Hope you are well!

Jenny said...

Barb, it's so good to see your blog! (I found it through Kristine's.) :) It was so fun "seeing" you the other night and chatting. :) You and your husband are the best. We had a wonderful time in Germany. Thanks for facilitating it! Love and miss you, Jenny Mathis --Stay in touch!

Swangerlings said...

He is NOT that old!! I won't believe it. It is so nuts how fast time flys.

Riley and Breanne said...

Oh how time flies... I can't believe little Jesse is almost home. Isn't he and Alicia only 10? Good to read your blog. Ours is Rileybreanne@blogspot.com

Joe said...

Hooray to Aunt Bobby for blogging. And hooray to Jesse for making it the whole two years. His emails are great and he looks handsome as ever. Love you!

Holly O. said...

I just saw the comment you left Hayley on her wedding picture post. Could you be a sweeter woman?! We all have such wonderful memories of you, that is for sure.

Seth & Courtney said...

Wow, it really does look like a picture of Steve. How great it is to hear that Jesse's out serving and loving it. It's almost March, so I guess he's back now!

I was just thinking about you the other day as I was doing something for the missionaries in our ward and wondering who cuts their hair because there's no Barb McClean here and maybe I should offer. You were such a great example to me of service to your Y.W., your kids (and their friends), and the missionaries and I think of you often as I try to be as good as you are! It's so good to be in touch. :)